Medical Resources

medical examThere are many resources available in the NHS that can help you. Things that you would not automatically think about; like play nurses. Play nurses, sometimes also called play specialists are part of the Community Children’s Nurses team (if they are available in your area). They provide nursing and supportive care at home and often act as your child’s key worker. They give parents/carers a much needed break, enabling them to use this time for themselves and the rest of the family, secure in the knowledge that their child is being cared for by a nurse known to the family and familiar with their child’s needs. A play specialist can also help children to make sense of difficult life experiences through the activity of play. Play is a child’s natural way of communicating and with a play specialist they can explore various issues they might find difficult to express in other ways.

If your local cancer care unit is unable to source a play nurse please contact us and we will endeavour to help

This care may include:

  • Giving periods of respite care in the family home
  • Providing support and advice
  • Providing play and stimulation sessions
  • Giving support to siblings

Community paediatrician:

A senior children’s doctor, usually a consultant working in the community. They work closely with the other doctors and specialists involved with your child, ensuring that your family’s needs are managed and supported at a local level.

Work with children using play and other activities to maximise their abilities in all aspects of daily living, including education. They will help and advise you on managing everyday life for your child. They will assess your child for any equipment required such as wheelchairs, bathing aids and adaptations to your child’s environment.

Social services

Social services staff will carry out an assessment of your child’s needs and you as parents are also entitled to a carer’s assessment. The role of social services is to provide support for people to live as independently as possible – this may include care within the home, services that give you a break from caring and benefits advice.

Health visitors

Provide health education and health promotion advice. They can also provide supportive care to you and your family. Some areas have specialist health visitors who have particular experience and expertise supporting families with very young children with an identified condition or disability, or who need extra help.


Common Childhood Cancers     My child has cancer     Friend & Family Support    Contact Us